Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Blog Post #3 How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?

I always thoroughly enjoyed peer editing in high school. We were not required to do it in our English classes as much as we should have, but it was a very interesting process. I believe that students do need to practice more peer editing in school and start a very young age. It can be frustrating because your work is put in a spotlight for your friends to see, but I think that students value their friends opinions a lot. It would be very rewarding for them to see that their peers thought well of their work and they would be more willing to fix any mistakes because it would be in front of their friends. I believe peer editing can build social skills as much as it builds up academic skills.


Peer editing can be tricky. Not everyone takes criticism well, even when it's constructive criticism. Always make sure it's the latter of the two. First, find something in the work that you can compliment (even if you have to look for a few minutes). There is always something there can be praised, so be positive. Second, move on to things that they may have done incorrectly. Such as, grammar, structure, or content mistakes. Peer editing is a constructive process that helps the students to become better writers, it is a solid method that helps them feel accomplishment. Always be honest during editing and do your best. 

4 comments:

  1. I am the same with you, I loved editing other people's work. But when ever someone would question or make a comment on something I wrote, I hated it! I think staying positive is the best thing you can do when peer editing because it makes the writer feel a whole lot better. Always being honest is also key to editing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, It's definitely a touchy subject, because it can cause hard feelings. I personally don't like to edit my peers work. As adults we do not like to be told by other adults that we are doing something wrong. I know I don't! Although it is a very useful approach to building our skills it can be a bit uncomfortable to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to add working links to every blog post; as well as have alt and title modifiers for your pictures. You need to go back and add these things.

    ReplyDelete